Reporting Of Accidents and Illnesses

Certain injuries, near-misses and work-related illnesses must be reported to the Health Safety Executive 
This is a duty under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, known as RIDDOR.

Need Help?

Get a Fast, No-Obligation Quote Today!

If you’re looking for Health and Safety Consultants, CDM Consultants, Construction Health & Safety Audits, Fire Risk Assessments we have the expertise to help you.

What does the law require for reporting of accidents and illnesses?

Written into law is a requirement for certain workplace injuries, near-misses and cases of work-related disease to be reported to the HSE.

This is a duty under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, known as RIDDOR.

When an accident is work-related and results in a reportable injury then this must be reported under RIDDOR.

As an overview, the following are what the HSE deem as types of reportable injuries:

Reporting Of Accidents And Illnesses
  • The death of any person
  • Specified injuries to workers
  • Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker
  • Over-three-day incapacitation
  • Non-fatal accidents to non-workers
  • Occupation diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences
  • Gas incidents

Record keeping?

For businesses with more than 10 employees, an accident book must be kept.  This is a requirement under social security law.

The accident book should be reviewed regularly to identify patterns of accidents/injuries.  Any findings should then be considered when reviewing managing risks in the workplace.

Do you need help with reporting and recording of accidents and illnesses?

Like many businesses, a lot do not have the competence in-house or do not want to undertake this task themselves.  You see a lot of employers don’t have the right skillset themselves or do not have the time because running a business itself is a mammoth task let alone dealing with all the intricacies of health and safety.

This is where sourcing the right help can be a weight lifted off your shoulders.  But like anything it must be undertaken as a buyer beware exercise.  There are lots of health and safety advisors and consultants in the marketplace, but you need to ensure you find the right one for you.

As an employer, managing health and safety is still your legal duty, so you need to find a company that understands you and your company.

Our team of consultants all have different disciplines so we will have the right fit for you and be able to meet your needs. We can prove competence and be able to help you meet the Government’s stringent laws.

If you want to chat through this or any service more then book a call today with one of our health and safety consultants.

Book your FREE health and safety review surgery with our Health and Safety expert John Crockett IMaPS, SIIRSM RSP, ACIOB.

This is a free 30-minute video call where you get the opportunity to discuss and diagnose any current health and safety compliance issues.

Back to Business Basics

Health And Safety Consultants


Audits, Assessments, Guidance, Compliance

Cdm Consultants


Ensuring Your Projects Are Delivered Safely

Construction Site Safety Inspections And Audits


Maintaining & Ensuring Safe Work Sites

Fire Risk Assessments


Ensuring Your Building Occupants Safety

Smas Accreditation
Chas Accredited
Safecontractor Accreditation Sticker B
Constructionline Gold Member
Ifsm Logo Affiliate Member